Discover the different options for your colored panels.
These are available in a PPA coating and a Polyester coating.
Plascoat PPA 571 ES is a thermoplastic coating powder which has been specifically designed to provide a long lasting, tough coating for exterior applications to mild steel, galvanized steel and aluminium. It is based on an alloy of acid modified polyolefins. Therefore it is Halogen free and the combustion fumes are low in smoke and have a low toxicity index. Plascoat PPA 571 ES is resistant to stress cracking, adverse weather conditions, detergents, salt spray and typical airborne pollutants. The coating maintains excellent adhesion to the metal substrate without the need for a separate primer. The material also provides
good abrasion and impact resistance.
Whatever the application, Plascoat PPA 571 has undergone long-term field tests to prove that it can provide:
• A long life with superior corrosion and abrasion protection.
• Excellent grip, feel and electrical insulation.
• Resistance to chipping and attack from light, pollutants, chemicals and vandals.
• An attractive, environmentally friendly finish
Corro-Coat PE Series is a versatile exterior durable powder coating developed to provide eye-catching
finishes, combining protective properties with good weather resistance and high quality finish to satisfy the end user requirements.The 50 series are TGIC-free, the 7 series are with est avec teneur TGIC (Triglycidylisocyanurate). It is designed for exterior weather resistance and interior surface protect. It can be applied to an array of architectural aluminium substrates, as well as other ferrous and non-ferrous metal. Typical area of architectural aluminium extrusions for building components and accessories.
Our welded panels are treated with Zinc phosphate or chromate conversion before the application of the coating. The Technical Data provided below are typical for Corro-Coat PE Series applied to 0.8mm zinc-phosphated cold rolled steel panels (65 microns film thickness).
Comparison PPA vs PE
1. Plascoat PPA571ES is a thermoplastic powder coating and hence melts to form a fusion bonded coating. Polyester powders must melt and chemically cross-link to develop their physical properties and adhesion. The curing schedule is therefore critical for polyester powder coatings. PPA571 only has to melt onto the surface to provide adhesion, and when the coating is cooled full physical properties are ensured.
2. Plascoat PPA571ES has been formulated to give excellent resistance to UV light and water including acid rain and salt spray. Furthermore it offers excellent corrosion resistance when applied over mild steel, galvanised steel or aluminium.
3. Plascoat PPA571ES is applied at 150 to 250 microns in a single application. Polyesters are applied at 50 to 100 microns. The thicker PPA571ES coating ensures that the edges are well covered and that the interstices of any wire sections are pinhole free.
4. Polyesters are by their chemical nature water permeable. Water passing through the coating will bring with it acids or salts from the environment. These will attack the substrate beneath and cause blistering and cracking of the coating. PPA571ES is hydrophobic and so water will not be absorbed by the coating. Therefore salts cannot attack the substrate below unless the coating is damaged. Even if the coating is damaged the adhesive mechanism resists underfilm creep and the coating is so flexible it cannot crack and fall off.
5. Polyesters have a similar chemistry to paints used by Graffiti “artists”. Therefore solvents carry the colour into the polyester coating. The solvents used to dissolve the graffiti paint also remove layers of the polyester powder coating. PPA571ES is nonporous to the graffiti paint solvents and so they do not penetrate into PPA571EScoatings. Therefore graffiti can be easily wiped off using solvents such as toluene or MEK with little affect to the coating.
6. Plascoat PPA571ES is extremely flexible even down to -78°C. Polyesters even when fully cured do not have good flexibility.
7. Plascoat PPA571ES can be over-sprayed with PPA571ES to give a thicker coating or alternatively with polyester if the thickness and corrosion properties or PPA571 are required but the hardness of polyester is also desired. In both cases inter-coat adhesion is assured.
For further information don’t hesitate to contact us. We will gladly assist.